Why Do we Do It
There is no shortage of file encryption software on the market. But, after extended research, we were unable to find a solution that can delivers the level of security that is required to withstand sophisticated cyber threats
Most encryption solutions have been designed to encrypt files as they pass through third party services. How users are authenticated and encryption keys managed simply do not guard against many known and emerging attacks such as session hijacking, malware, phishing, etc.
File Sentry was created to address the following use cases:
- Encryption is very effective at protecting data ONLY IF THE ENCRYPTION KEY CAN BE KEPT AND USED SECURELY.
- The greatest level of encryption available is easily defeated if protected by password “1234” or if a copy is left in plaintext. An attacker will obviously attempt to see the plaintext version – why bother with the encrypted copy?
- Because so much data resides in the cloud, there is only so much service providers can do or will do, something has to be done on the USER side of the equation. Long passwords are great, but users often forget them. So any solution has to be easy and convenient to use.
The Motivation Behind the Creation of File Sentry
- File Sentry mitigates risks associated with password or other one-way user authentication technologies;
- File Sentry protects files at all times, not just backup copies;
- File Sentry provides a user with a meaningful tool to control how and when protected files are accessed.
After several years of innovation, implementation and refinements, we are very pleased that File Sentry has achieved its design goals as outlined above. Please feel free to give the service a try.